Great forum

Any discussion related to Journey
Journeyman999

Great forum

Postby Journeyman999 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:33 pm

I just came across this forum. I only had a couple of Journey boots so I'm looking forward to exploring what's out there. Thank you to all that make this forum happen.

Also has any demos or roughs from the Escape, Frontiers & Raised on Radio ever surfaced? Can't recall seeing any

Loneman1

Re: Great forum

Postby Loneman1 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:50 am

Welcome! This place is pretty bad ass, no doubt! As far as demos from those eras, the one that jumps out at me off the top of my head is from "With A Tear" from I think '85......its got some incomplete vocals that are missing from the version on Time3 that Neal and Jon finished as an instrumental. I think there may be one or two other songs from the eras you mentioned, but the timeline of those demos in question haven't ever been truly confirmed like "Let it Rock You". That one has been circulating in trade circles forever, and has been mentioned from anywhere from '81, '84 from Perry's Street Talk album, to the ROR sessions. I tend to think it is more of a ROR outtake or MAYBE Street Talk, but I've never heard 100% confirmation.

chaseharlann03

Postby chaseharlann03 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:07 am

Loneman1 wrote:Welcome! This place is pretty bad ass, no doubt! As far as demos from those eras, the one that jumps out at me off the top of my head is from "With A Tear" from I think '85......its got some incomplete vocals that are missing from the version on Time3 that Neal and Jon finished as an instrumental. I think there may be one or two other songs from the eras you mentioned, but the timeline of those demos in question haven't ever been truly confirmed like "Let it Rock You". That one has been circulating in trade circles forever, and has been mentioned from anywhere from '81, '84 from Perry's Street Talk album, to the ROR sessions. I tend to think it is more of a ROR outtake or MAYBE Street Talk, but I've never heard 100% confirmation.

i believe let it rock you is from raised on radio sessions from 1985. judging by steve perry’s vocals being raspy like it is on the other tracks on the album
chaseharlann

Journeyman999

Postby Journeyman999 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks for the info on these and the welcome. I think I have those so seems like I'm caught up.

Loneman1

Postby Loneman1 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:34 pm

chaseharlann03 wrote:i believe let it rock you is from raised on radio sessions from 1985. judging by steve perry’s vocals being raspy like it is on the other tracks on the album

Yup, that was my reasoning as well. Perry also seemed to have more swagger in the studio around that time, just kinda ad-libbing in the studio with the "Smoke gets in the way" part and the whole conversation with a woman on that track fits in with his style at the time.

Loneman1

Postby Loneman1 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:42 pm

Journeyman999 wrote:Thanks for the info on these and the welcome. I think I have those so seems like I'm caught up.

Also, it might not really be a "demo", but an extended mix of "Only Solutions" from '82 is also posted here in the "Steve Perry Rarities" compilation. I feel like I'm missing a demo or something from the '81-'86 timeframe that I haven't mentioned yet but can't think of it......hmm.......

Return to “General Discussion”