techtuts
Site Admin

1981-06-07 Ventura, CA

Postby techtuts » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Date: 7th June 1981
Venue: Ventura County Fairgrounds
Format: FLAC
Quality: B
Not great frequency response and stereo imaging, has noise and distortion.
Journey played 3 shows here from the 7th to the 9th. Herbie Herbert sequenced the track order of the Escape album in a hotel nearby around the same time.

Track List:
[01] Where Were You
[02] Line Of Fire
[03] Stone In Love
[04] Keep On Runnin'
[05] Lay It Down
[06] Who's Crying Now
[07] Dead Or Alive
[08] Lights
[09] Stay Awhile
[10] Too Late
[11] Dixie Highway
[12] Lovin' You Is Easy
[13] La Do Da
[14] Steve Smith On Drums
[15] The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love)
[16] Wheel In The Sky
[17] Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
[18] Any Way You Want It

Register to view links

Bootradr

Re: 1981-06-07 Ventura, CA

Postby Bootradr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:23 pm

EXCELLENT share! I never even knew this existed until seeing it today. Thanks for the upload...

Bootradr

eclipsed

Postby eclipsed » Wed May 24, 2023 3:43 am

I was there! Thank you so much for this share!

eclipsed

Postby eclipsed » Wed May 24, 2023 4:32 am

I was a sophomore in high school - I had snuck out at midnight and rode my bike to Salzer's record store in Ventura hoping to be in front of the line when tickets went on sale the next morning....I knew they'd go quickly. I ended up missing school that day, but I scored my ticket and waited eagerly for show day..... When the day arrived, I was up before dawn and made it to the fairgrounds and waited in line with around fifty or so others....we got to hear them doing soundcheck abolut an hour before they opened the gates - they worked on the vocal harmonies to "Lay It Down" which was a brand new song to us....and they were spot on! everybody there knew that we were in for a treat.....Once the gates opened, I made a beeline for the front, where I got a spot just to the right of center on the rail that seperated the crowd from the stage (the press pit, we called it). I held my position, and as i looked around at the crowd behind me, I saw a girl from school that I had a major crush on, and I waved at her, beckoning her to her to join me up front.
First up was a band called 415, featuring a young Eric Martin who later was the frontman for Mr Big.
Billy Squier was next up, supporting his "Don't Say No" LP, which was a huge hit at the time - He whipped the crowd into a frenzy before Journey hit the stage....
Journey was simply incredible.....Perry, Schon, Vallory, Smith and new keyboardist Cain put on a show that I'll never forget. I think this was actually Cain's first performance with Journey, but I didn't learn this until many years later.
Thank you again for posting this tape....I had no idea that this existed.....

techtuts
Site Admin

Postby techtuts » Wed May 24, 2023 10:54 pm

eclipsed wrote:I was a sophomore in high school - I had snuck out at midnight and rode my bike to Salzer's record store in Ventura hoping to be in front of the line when tickets went on sale the next morning....I knew they'd go quickly. I ended up missing school that day, but I scored my ticket and waited eagerly for show day..... When the day arrived, I was up before dawn and made it to the fairgrounds and waited in line with around fifty or so others....we got to hear them doing soundcheck abolut an hour before they opened the gates - they worked on the vocal harmonies to "Lay It Down" which was a brand new song to us....and they were spot on! everybody there knew that we were in for a treat.....Once the gates opened, I made a beeline for the front, where I got a spot just to the right of center on the rail that seperated the crowd from the stage (the press pit, we called it). I held my position, and as i looked around at the crowd behind me, I saw a girl from school that I had a major crush on, and I waved at her, beckoning her to her to join me up front.
First up was a band called 415, featuring a young Eric Martin who later was the frontman for Mr Big.
Billy Squier was next up, supporting his "Don't Say No" LP, which was a huge hit at the time - He whipped the crowd into a frenzy before Journey hit the stage....
Journey was simply incredible.....Perry, Schon, Vallory, Smith and new keyboardist Cain put on a show that I'll never forget. I think this was actually Cain's first performance with Journey, but I didn't learn this until many years later.
Thank you again for posting this tape....I had no idea that this existed.....
That is awesome, here are a couple of pictures that I believe are from the soundcheck.
2-crop.jpg

6-.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eclipsed

Postby eclipsed » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:18 pm

Wow! Thanks for these....Definitely looks like Ventura Fairground....

thechurch

Postby thechurch » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:09 pm

Those pics are cool to have

Terry

realtulp

Postby realtulp » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:08 pm

Thanx for this post

Return to “Tours 1981-1987”