Site Admin

1980-08-23 Largo, MD

Postby techtuts » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:49 pm

Date: 23rd August 1980
Venue: Capitol Centre
Source: TV (VHS audio rip)
Format: FLAC
Quality: B (varies a bit)
Fair frequency response, not great stereo imaging (probably mono), has noise (also a high pitch tone) and distortion. Could do with a remaster but really needs an better source.
Looking for a better DVD of this

Track Listing:
CD 1
01 - Departure
02 - Majestic
03 - Where Were You
04 - Just The Same Way
05 - Lovin' You Is Easy
06 - Too Late
07 - Kohoutek
08 - Precious Time
09 - Lights
10 - Stay Awhil
11 - Dixie Highway
12 - Homemade Love
13 - Anytime

CD 2
01 - Walks Like A Lady
02 - Neal Schon On Guitar
03 - La Do Da
04 - Ross Valory Bass Solo
05 - Steve Smith On Drums
06 - Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
07 - Moon Theme
08 - Wheel In The Sky
09 - Any Way You Want It
10 - Patiently
11 - Line Of Fire

Register to view links

Source: TV (VHS)
Format: mpg
Quality: B (varies a bit)
Fair frequency response, not great stereo imaging (probably mono), has distortion and a little noise. Could do with a remaster.
Register to view links

Bootradr

Re: 1980-08-23 Largo, MD

Postby Bootradr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:09 am

Where did you get the information this was an FM broadcast techtuts? I've never heard of this one being broadcasted but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been either of course. Every source I've seen for this show in audio has always been a video rip. Hopefully someone with a good video copy can help out and share it because we know much better video of this show (as well as audio) does exist...

Bootradr

techtuts
Site Admin

Postby techtuts » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:45 pm

Bootradr wrote:Where did you get the information this was an FM broadcast techtuts? I've never heard of this one being broadcasted but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been either of course. Every source I've seen for this show in audio has always been a video rip. Hopefully someone with a good video copy can help out and share it because we know much better video of this show (as well as audio) does exist...

Bootradr

My mistake, should say video rip. Hopefully it was broadcast on radio so we can get a stereo copy at some point.

Edit: From what I've heard it wasn't aired on radio

Bootradr

Postby Bootradr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:18 pm

That would be nice! I don't think I've ever seen one mentioned on any of the Largo, MD shows I've gotten on DVD from various artists. What kills me is there is a great quality video (and stereo audio I believe) out there. I've seen a sample on YouTube many years ago. I even messages the guy but never heard back. Hopefully, we'll have some members join that can help out with some of the video upgrades (Tokyo 1980-10-13 for instance) we know exist :-)

Bootradr

Awake

Postby Awake » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:43 am

I think have '80 Largo, MD video...

JAbbott

Postby JAbbott » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:41 am

dunno if anyone is monitoring this thread anymore, but I have a DVD of this show. got it off some dude selling boots on eBay early mid 00's. when I got it picture quality was amazing (to me, maybe not to anyone else), looked to me like someone took a feed straight off the main video screen projection either for the jumbotron (I'm thinking this was actually recorded at capital centre in landover where the capitals used to play but I might be wrong) or a screen the band set up at the gig, given they pioneered the technology. audio was superlative to me from what I remember as well, but then again I'm not a techie or overly picky about flaws in soundboard recordings....I tend not to listen to audience recordings though.

techtuts
Site Admin

Postby techtuts » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 am

Posted the best video copy I have, I think the audio in this is better than the audio only copy too.

dquan81

Postby dquan81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:55 pm

I'm just curious... does anyone know if People and Places was played on this night? The recording sounds like an edit between Kohoutek and Precious Time and you can hear Gregg's organ which would indicate that it was the beginning or end of P&P. However, the organ portion you hear isn't in the same key as P&P so I'm a little confused. I wish there were many more recordings from this tour as it was, by far, the best lineup and tour, in my humble opinion.

chaseharlann03

Postby chaseharlann03 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:22 am

dquan81 wrote:I'm just curious... does anyone know if People and Places was played on this night? The recording sounds like an edit between Kohoutek and Precious Time and you can hear Gregg's organ which would indicate that it was the beginning or end of P&P. However, the organ portion you hear isn't in the same key as P&P so I'm a little confused. I wish there were many more recordings from this tour as it was, by far, the best lineup and tour, in my humble opinion.

I think they did but it might've been cut
chaseharlann

rushIan2112

Postby rushIan2112 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:32 pm

JAbbott wrote:dunno if anyone is monitoring this thread anymore, but I have a DVD of this show. got it off some dude selling boots on eBay early mid 00's. when I got it picture quality was amazing (to me, maybe not to anyone else), looked to me like someone took a feed straight off the main video screen projection either for the jumbotron (I'm thinking this was actually recorded at capital centre in landover where the capitals used to play but I might be wrong) or a screen the band set up at the gig, given they pioneered the technology. audio was superlative to me from what I remember as well, but then again I'm not a techie or overly picky about flaws in soundboard recordings....I tend not to listen to audience recordings though.

Do you still have the DVD?

Return to “Tours 1978-1980”