1978-09-02 San Mateo, CA

Infinity, Evolution, Departure
techtuts
Site Admin

1978-09-02 San Mateo, CA

Postby techtuts » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Date: September 2nd, 1978
Venue: Monitros Studios
Every copy I have seen seems to be derived from the same original transfer (maybe from radio), first 10 tracks are taken from an LP and last 4 from a Gypsy Eye release. The piano sounds a little odd and there are some panning issues. Stereo imaging and frequency response is fair, some noise and distortion.

Source 1:
Source: FM?
Format: FLAC
Quality: B+

Track List:
01. Of A Lifetime
02. I Would Find You
03. Feeling That Way
04. Anytime
05. La Do Da
06. Can Do
07. Winds Of March
08. On A Saturday Night
09. Wheel In The Sky
10. Next
11. You're On Your Own
12. Look Into The Future
13. She Makes Me (Feel Alright)
14. Lights

Register to view links

Source 2:
Source: FM?
Format: FLAC
Quality: A-

Track List:
01. Of A Lifetime
02. I Would Find You
03. Feeling That Way
04. Anytime
05. La Do Da
06. Can Do
07. Winds Of March
08. On A Saturday Night
09. Wheel In The Sky
10. Next

Register to view links
LP Transfer (coming soon)

cburnsinfo

Re: 1978-09-02 San Mateo, CA

Postby cburnsinfo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Thank you!

chaseharlann03

Postby chaseharlann03 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:28 am

Is this date correct? They played DOTG on this date. It would make sense that they could’ve done two shows on this date since San Mateo is right across the bay
chaseharlann

Loneman1

Postby Loneman1 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:33 am

chaseharlann03 wrote:Is this date correct? They played DOTG on this date. It would make sense that they could’ve done two shows on this date since San Mateo is right across the bay

This show's date has always perplexed me a bit as well.......not only do some places list it as being a DOTG show, but also the setlist is so radically different from any other shows we know of from that point in the "Infinity" tour. It feels like the numbers got flipped and its actually 2/9/78 since the setlist would be more at home in that timeframe, but I think there was a documented conflict of where they were on 2/9/78 as well, just like the 9/2/78 situation. I've just resigned myself to the 9/2/78 date for archive purposes, but who knows. The show apparently took place at Burrell High School, which is in San Mateo. I used to live near there as a kid, so yet another reason why this show is shrouded in such mystery for me!

EDIT: I just did a quick google search of Burrell High School, and nothing turned up in the San Mateo area. There WAS however a Borel Middle School in San Mateo......I wonder if that is actually the supposed venue? It might be worth a call to the school to see if there is any one still around there that could answer if Journey played there back in '78? The whole thing is very strange since I remember hearing Burrell as a kid, but maybe it was actually Borel I was hearing?

ravenslayer

Postby ravenslayer » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Loneman1 wrote:This show's date has always perplexed me a bit as well.......not only do some places list it as being a DOTG show, but also the setlist is so radically different from any other shows we know of from that point in the "Infinity" tour. It feels like the numbers got flipped and its actually 2/9/78 since the setlist would be more at home in that timeframe, but I think there was a documented conflict of where they were on 2/9/78 as well, just like the 9/2/78 situation. I've just resigned myself to the 9/2/78 date for archive purposes, but who knows. The show apparently took place at Burrell High School, which is in San Mateo. I used to live near there as a kid, so yet another reason why this show is shrouded in such mystery for me!

EDIT: I just did a quick google search of Burrell High School, and nothing turned up in the San Mateo area. There WAS however a Borel Middle School in San Mateo......I wonder if that is actually the supposed venue? It might be worth a call to the school to see if there is any one still around there that could answer if Journey played there back in '78? The whole thing is very strange since I remember hearing Burrell as a kid, but maybe it was actually Borel I was hearing?

I've seen it posted as a Borel Junior High School Benefit, at the mysterious "Monitro Studios", where no other band has ever played a gig. Let's also play a show before the other show, which starts at 11am, that features Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Cheap Trick. And not be in any hurry, as we're talking and asking the audience what else they want to hear. They were in California for days without a show, on a couple of occasions. All of February, 1978 - in California. May 29, 1978 was Concord, CA and then June 9th was SPAC, NY. And Aug. 18, 1978 Cal Expo. Sacramento, CA probably through the end of the year, California. How this has the same date as Day on the Green, no clue.

Loneman1

Postby Loneman1 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:41 pm

ravenslayer wrote:I've seen it posted as a Borel Junior High School Benefit, at the mysterious "Monitro Studios", where no other band has ever played a gig. Let's also play a show before the other show, which starts at 11am, that features Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Cheap Trick. And not be in any hurry, as we're talking and asking the audience what else they want to hear. They were in California for days without a show, on a couple of occasions. All of February, 1978 - in California. May 29, 1978 was Concord, CA and then June 9th was SPAC, NY. And Aug. 18, 1978 Cal Expo. Sacramento, CA probably through the end of the year, California. How this has the same date as Day on the Green, no clue.

Yeah, the weird mystery surrounding when and where this show really took place is kinda nuts! At this point this definitely has to be a "one-off" show. The "Monitro's Studios" name also throws a weird wrench into all of it since that is obviously not a school of any type unless it was the world's first mobile traveling studio back in '78 that happened to come with them to the venue! :lol:

chaseharlann03

Postby chaseharlann03 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:14 pm

Loneman1 wrote:
chaseharlann03 wrote:Is this date correct? They played DOTG on this date. It would make sense that they could’ve done two shows on this date since San Mateo is right across the bay

This show's date has always perplexed me a bit as well.......not only do some places list it as being a DOTG show, but also the setlist is so radically different from any other shows we know of from that point in the "Infinity" tour. It feels like the numbers got flipped and its actually 2/9/78 since the setlist would be more at home in that timeframe, but I think there was a documented conflict of where they were on 2/9/78 as well, just like the 9/2/78 situation. I've just resigned myself to the 9/2/78 date for archive purposes, but who knows. The show apparently took place at Burrell High School, which is in San Mateo. I used to live near there as a kid, so yet another reason why this show is shrouded in such mystery for me!

I saw a post on FB about this concert it has some info about it. I’ll leave a transcript here:

"On September 2, 1978, Journey was part of the line-up for Day on the Green at Oakland Coliseum.

Yes, this you already knew.

Here’s the New to You Part…

Journey performed a second concert on September 2, 1978.

It was a benefit concert for the Borel Middle School Benefit show. Journey helped raise $6,000 for uniforms for the school. This doesn’t seem like a lot of more for an entire school today. I took $6,000 amount to an inflation conversion page. This $6,000 in 1979 would be equal to $23,041.49 in 2022; it was an inflation increase of 284.02%.

The benefit concert was held at Monitro Studios in San Mateo, California which is the city of the school.

After their September 2, 1978, shows, the next time the band performed anywhere was October 1, 1978, where they recorded their show for the King Biscuit Flower Hour. October 1, 1978, was the first time Steve Smith performed with Journey, which makes Day on the Green and the San Mateo benefit concert on September 2, 1978, the last time Aynsley Dunbar played with the band."

With that said, it is still possible that the band went from San Francisco to San Mateo since it was right across the bay
chaseharlann

ravenslayer

Postby ravenslayer » Fri May 20, 2022 4:57 pm

And the winner is...cause two shows one day didn't make a lick of sense...

Mantra Studios - March 5, 1978 - Chicago, Illinois - Mantra Studio Jams FM Broadcast

They were at the Nelson Center in Springfield, Illinois on March 4th.

realtulp

Postby realtulp » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:10 pm

Thanks for this post

Return to “Tours 1978-1980”